Incoming Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) chairman Martin Diño on Saturday revealed that at least 50 celebrities are included in the drug list of President Rodrigo Duterte. Diño, chairman of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption and partymate of Duterte in the PDP-Laban, said in a press conference in Quezon City that majority of the celebrities are party drugs users and at least 10 are suspected drug pushers. The incoming SBMA chairman declined to name the celebrities.
He said that some those on the list have already taken drug tests. GMA News Online is seeking a reaction from Malacañang. Last week, National Capital Region Police Office director Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde confirmed that the police has a list of celebrities suspected of being involved in drugs. Albayalde said that they were still validating the list.
He said that the names are included in the list based on information from arrested drug suspects. The NCRPO said that the names of the celebrities on the list may be released to the public depending on the decision of either President Duterte or Philippine National Police chief Ronald dela Rosa. President Duterte has released lists of personalities allegedly involved in drugs including ranking police officials, government officials and members of the judiciary. The President has also revealed a third list, which include the names of Chinese nationals and at least 40 judges.
In the same press conference, Surigao del Norte Rep. Robert Ace Barbers said he has filed a bill seeking to amend Republic Act 9165 or the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. Barbers said he is proposing a stiff penalty of life imprisonment against the coddlers of drug users and pushers. Barbers said that it was important to imposed stiffer punishment to discourage people from coddling their loved ones and friends who are involved in the illegal drug trade.